Slouching Towards Oblivion

Friday, February 05, 2010

Into The Lions' Den Again

I posted earlier about Obama going to the Repub Retreat and suggested at the time that if Obama beat up on people at The Prayer Breakfast, we might get an idea of how the administration intends to navigate the various minefields left over from the last 30 years of partisan warfare.

I've seen some of the video (if you go looking for it, don't forget to include Hillary's remarks - as often as I find her grating and unpleasant, I think she's doing a really good job for us at State).  Anyway, The Big O had some pretty sharp and direct criticism for the Goddies, but he said it in a nice way.  It didn't sound a lot different than any sermon you might hear in any given church on any given Sunday.

So I'm left to believe he got thru to at least some of 'em.  Or maybe he's doing a kind of surgery - like he sees an unhealthy element in these groups of people who are otherwise decent folk, and he's trying to talk to the 'moderates' in a way that says "I can help you regain power inside your own organizations if you'll help me push the nutballs back into the bleachers".

Watch the last 20 minutes of the first episode of The West Wing for a fair illustration of the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment