Slouching Towards Oblivion

Monday, March 15, 2010

God And Country

The 9th Circuit Court in San Francisco says the phrase "under God" in the pledge of allegiance is OK because it's a patriotic thing and not a religious thing.  Fine.  But the ruling itself is a nice bit of hair-splitting - aimed at mollifying both sides rather than trying to get to a point of Settled Law - and so it's mostly bullshit.

I'm conservative, so I think first and foremost, that there's no way I'm going to hold myself liable to taking a Loyalty Oath.

Second, even if I go along with this crap, I much prefer the original.

Third, I have no allegiance for bed sheets or underwear or upholstery, so I intend never to pledge my allegiance to a flag.  The ideal itself is what's important - not the symbol.

Finally, if I ever feel the need, I'll recite my own version:
"I pledge allegiance to The United States of America. One nation; indivisible; with liberty and justice for all."

No comments:

Post a Comment