Slouching Towards Oblivion

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Pic Of The Day

Technology can give us a productivity boost. For communities struggling with budget problems, a few surveillance cameras have a force mutiplier effect by putting eyeballs in more places than they can afford to put actual cops.  Generally, I don't have any problem with passive surveillance - Red Light Cameras, Speeder Cams, Street Watch Cams, etc.  It's within the reasonable limits and expectations of government power for the police to see what I'm up to when I'm out in public.  If you don't like getting ticketed, maybe you should try following the rules instead of bitchin' about getting caught.

I do worry a little about the infamous slippery slope tho'.  I don't know if the rest of the world has this trouble, but Americans have a great knack for misunderstanding certain things.  Vince Lombardi says, "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing", and we end up with an attitude that we can get away with anything as long as we're winning.  Maybe it's just the natural inclination for humans to rationalize - I dunno.  I do know that there's a big bunch of people who don't quite get it when it comes to our system of justice.  These folks will tell you, "If you're not doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to hide; so it's OK for government to know everything".  And what's really weird is that most of the people who'd say that are the same ones who'll make all the noise about how you can't trust the government.

So anyway, I saw this picture and it reminded me that's it a good idea to think about what I think about things, and then decide where I should draw this particular line, and then to write it all down.




No comments:

Post a Comment