Slouching Towards Oblivion

Monday, March 07, 2011

Nobody Tells Us

I was in a running battle on FaceBook last week with an old high school buddy who insists that Gubmint Workers are greedy and that the real problem is that their retirement bennies are causing the states to go broke.

When I'm talking politics or anything else, my training tells me to listen, process, deconstruct, reconstruct and then rebut.  I'm learning (gradually) that the talking points from Right Radicals need to be dismissed loudly as soon as they fall outa their little pie holes - no matter what it is, I'm trying to retrain myself to demand verification and backup.

Unfortunately, as Mr Churchill said, "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to gets its pants on."

From McClatchy:

A close look at state and local pension plans across the nation, and a comparison of them to those in the private sector, reveals a more complicated story. However, the short answer is that there's simply no evidence that state pensions are the current burden to public finances that their critics claim.


2 comments:

  1. One very striking omision from the story is how Wall Street raped the pension funds. If there weren't such heavy losses due to GWB's financial fiasco, those funds would be flush with cash today!

    Same thing happened to my 401Ks! And I'm not the only one who felt their greedy hands on my pocketbook.

    Here in Ohio, Governor Kisch, who reaped hundreds of thousands of dollars while an investment officer for Lehman Brothers, somehow got away with losing hundreds of millions of Ohioans' pensions and yet was elected to the highest political position in Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Governor Kasich....typographical error...correction. Ooops.

    ReplyDelete