Slouching Towards Oblivion

Friday, September 16, 2011

Jesus Junkies

The visible spectrum of the GOP has been almost completely captured by the Christianist wing. It's pretty obvious that there's very little room in any Repub primary for anybody not willing to lie his ass off (if need be) to establish his bona fides as a standup God-fearin' TheoCon.  This is not new, of course.  Its been heading this direction for at least 30 years.

For my own self, I lean towards atheism and I believe strongly in making my own decisions about my own life; knowing that it has to be tempered by the understanding that we're all in this together so we need rules to keep us from steppin' on each other too hard or too often - not much that's particularly odd about any of that; but I find myself totally unwelcome in a political party I once thought of as home.  Don't get me wrong, I think registering as Independent has been a net plus.  It's kinda forcing me at least to make the effort to dig out something I can hold onto from "both sides".  Also, I've had to disabuse myself of any notion that what we have here is a two-party system.  One of the soul-stripping effects of the system we do have (ie: Legalized Bribery) is that we can either vote for the candidate who's a complete asshole, or we can vote for the one who's slightly less than a complete asshole.  So, yeah - it's a Hobson's choice between the lesser of two evils, but that means you damned sure better be paying attention so you don't pick the greater of the two evils.

Attempting to counteract the TheoCons, "Lefties" are trying to hold up the Jesus of The 4 Gospels, saying "Repubs are hypocrites because they're not following the teachings of their hero".  Sorry guys, but these jokers believe we're living in the End Times now.  They're way past that Hippie Jesus.  We're talkin' kick-ass Jesus from Revelation here, Bubba.  This Jesus wears a blood-soaked robe, and he has a sword coming from his mouth.  This Jesus is gonna give his followers the power to "rule the nations with an iron rod".  Jesus is coming - and he's pissed - at you.

If you watched the Repub debate the other nite - the one where the yahoos cheered Rick Perry's record of executions, and then shouted in the affirmative when Blitzer asked Ron Paul if he'd just let people die if they chose not to have health insurance - and these things both appalled and puzzled you; well, guess what?  The "truth" has set them free.  The worst possible behavior has now passed out of Unthinkable, through Forgivable (and through Acceptable too), and is now arriving at a place called Preferable.

Do not hand the reins of power to these pricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment