Slouching Towards Oblivion

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Ed Note

We got slammed pretty hard by the storms last Friday.  We're OK, but electrical power is a problem.  We bought a generator during the monster snow storm of 2009(?), so I can power the fridge and the computers and a couple of window AC units.  We're far better off than lots of our neighbors, but there's very little about this whole thing that doesn't suck.

One thing - Americans behave like spoiled children the majority of the time, but when the real shit happens (like 80mph Derecho winds that knock the crap outa the power grid), people tend to rally together in a weirdly self-sufficient way.  I don't know how to describe it.  Like I said, our situation is considerably better than most, but when I offer the neighbors refuge in our relatively cool family room, they've all thanked me kindly and said more or less, "we're doin' OK for now" or "maybe take you up on that in a day or two" etc etc.  It just feels a little odd; like people don't wanna admit they're struggling with it or something.  I dunno.  Weird.

Anyway, even tho' I've got power for the PC, the DSL's been up and down the whole time, and blogging isn't a big priority right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment