Slouching Towards Oblivion

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Gun 'Em Down

Yay, Florida - the place where everybody's a lot safer because of a very liberal interpretation of the 2nd Amendment that manifests itself in great ideas like Stand Your Ground and (soon to be expanded) Open Carry.

From news-press.com:
“I went to bend over to help the guy on the ground, the victim, and out of the garage I heard something: ‘I’ll kill everybody or shoot everybody,’ Snyder said. "And he cocked his gun and thank God for the Collier County sheriff’s (deputy), she probably saved my life and everybody else’s life that was in the area,” Snyder said.
Nick Rainey was selling frozen steaks and lobster tails door-to-door.  As he was leaving Ken Roop's property, Roop returns home, there's a "confrontation" in the driveway, and Roop shoots Rainey - wounding him in the shoulder.  Rainey goes down.  Roop then walks over to where Rainey is lying on the ground and caps the guy in the back of the head.

Because Roop "felt threatened".

So lemme see, if I'm just kinda cruisin' around in Florida, and I see some schmuck wearing a Glock 9 on his hip, do I have the right to gun him down just because I'm thinking he could turn violent at any moment since he's obviously over-compensating for having a small dick, or that his daddy fucked his sister, or whatever's feeding his sense of inadequacy today?  Can I just say the magic words - "I felt threatened" - and get away with it?

When did we decide that Liberty Valance was actually the hero and therefor a good role model for our behavior?

No comments:

Post a Comment