Slouching Towards Oblivion

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

What Struck Me

I've wondered a long time about the nexus of Genetic Predisposition and a Toxic Environment.  Frontline gave me a nice glimpse at an answer.

"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."

Watch My Father, My Brother, and Me on PBS. See more from FRONTLINE.


Almost as an aside: When it gets down to taking about Stem Cell Research et al, it's important to maintain our respect for life.  I get it.  I can almost stone cold promise you nobody doesn't get that.  But when way too many people are just trying to find some safe and comfortable position that's easy to defend with a few high-sounding bromides, don't be surprised if I feel the need to get a little testy and terse.

It's a question of balance between respect for what is, respect for what could be, and respect for the greater good for the greater number.  So let's not get so busy respecting the potential life of the embryo that we dismiss the lives of the people who're standing right in front of us, who're just asking us for little help.

No comments:

Post a Comment