Slouching Towards Oblivion

Friday, May 13, 2016

A Poem

The Oxymoronic English Contradictionary --Brian Bilston

Alone together for once,
I told her how I thought that, in my unbiased opinion

The incidence of oxymorons in the English language
Had been growing smaller.

"That's old news", she said
Adding that it had been the case for almost exactly ten years.

Things got pretty ugly,
But this in itself felt strangely normal,

For ours was a bittersweet relationship;
A civil war of violent arguments

I found myself annoyingly endeared to her
While she regarded my puritanical streak as seriously funny.

Our contradictions
Compliment each other perfectly

"Same difference",
I whispered loudly.

But she, with a sad smile,
After telling me how I'd left her speechless,

Went back to reading
Her textbook on business ethics.

No comments:

Post a Comment