Slouching Towards Oblivion

Friday, June 17, 2016

Keep 'Em Flyin'

Thoughts And Prayers!!!

...the video game that's sweeping the nation
...brought to by (not really) The GOP


(click on the link at the top - I couldn't figure out how to embed)

I am angry.
Yesterday I was sad. Today, I am angry.
I know that’s facile and cliche and maybe even self-absorbed. I’m trying to think of a better word — I bet the Germans have a perfectly and oddly specific one, but English doesn’t, so angry will have to suffice.
I’m angry that I’ve always known this would happen.
I’m angry that when marriage equality passed last year, my second thought, right after “OMG yay!” was, “I wonder how long it will take for someone to blow up a gay bar.”
I’m angry that I then immediately scolded myself: “DON’T LET THAT IN. Don’t put it out there. Don’t live in fear. Cling to hope and the arc of justice always bending in the favor or righteousness and all that. Don’t let the bad become conventional wisdom, don’t let the pain of the past calcify into cynicism. Relish this. Celebrate it. Believe in it.”
I’m angry that that has now been proven to be naive.
I’m angry that Christians were taking to YouTube calling for armed reprisals the day marriage equality happened, and so far not a single Christian I know has voiced any support or agony over this barbaric tragedy that killed 49 gay and trans people and allies.
I’m angry that that will be swept under the rug because the gunman was a Muslim.
...it goes on for a while, and just gets better. Let it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment