Slouching Towards Oblivion

Thursday, August 04, 2016

An Armed Society

Here's one of the favorite bromides of the American Ammosexual: 

"An armed society is a polite society"

I think maybe we're looking at large portions of the populace feeling intimidated into keeping silent; being reluctant to speak out because they're afraid some asshole with a gun might do something stoopidly shitty - and mistaking that forced reticence for courtesy.

Those two things are not the same.

And also too - the fact that Americans are heavily armed (and short-tempered) may be a contributing factor in our ever-increasing tendency to offload some of our societal responsibilities onto the cops.

Why would I knock on my neighbors' door to ask him to keep his dog quiet, when I'm afraid he'll shoot my ass?  Am I being polite - or is it something else?

Just wanna point some of that shit out.

No comments:

Post a Comment