Slouching Towards Oblivion

Saturday, December 03, 2016

On Letting It Go

It's just really hard to walk away. Sometimes it feels like you're lumping together your parents and your grandparents and everybody you've known and loved and respected your whole life - and you're calling them liars and fools.

John Pavlovitz on his troubles with American Christianity:
If religion it is to be worth holding on to, it should be the place where the marginalized feel the most visible, where the hurting receive the most tender care, where the outsiders find the safest refuge.
It should be the place where diversity is fiercely pursued and equality loudly championed; where all of humanity finds a permanent home and where justice runs the show.
That is not what this thing is. This is FoxNews and red cup protests and persecution complexes. It’s opulent, big box megachurches and coddled, untouchable celebrity pastors. It’s pop culture boycotts and manufactured outrage. It’s just wars and justified shootings. It’s all manner of bullying and intolerance in the name of Jesus.
Feeling estrangement from these things is a good thing.
I split with religion a long time ago, and only recently turned myself loose from the last bits of the Magical Thinking part of "Spirituality" (whatever the hell that word's supposed to mean), even tho' I still indulge myself in the use of the language and some of the ritual.

And I won't bore all of us struggling to come up with some wordy dissertation on "my journey".

  • I was raised a Methodist
  • I thought about it for 40 years
  • Now I'm atheist

Back to the point - it's not so much that there's a lot wrong with Religion; the problem is all the fucked up things Religious People do because of it.

All together now - Duh.


No comments:

Post a Comment