Slouching Towards Oblivion

Thursday, February 02, 2017

Black History Month 2 of 7

From Atlanta Black Star - 7 Lies Taught In American Schools


Abraham Lincoln Was Strongly Opposed to Slavery

Abraham Lincoln is often put on a pedestal in American textbooks as one of the greatest opponents of slavery for freeing enslaved people with his Emancipation Proclamation in 1863. But in fact, he struggled with conflicting and ambiguous views on slavery during his entire presidential career. This fact is confirmed by his own words: “If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union.”

No comments:

Post a Comment