Slouching Towards Oblivion

Thursday, November 09, 2017

A Map

Just wanted to throw this one up and look at it for a while.

(WaPo)


I don't do colors very well, but to me, this looks a lot like Virginia has seen a significant shift towards the Blue end.

Even all that wide open space in the western and southwestern parts don't have that deep red thing going on like before.

But what's really odd is the purpling of places like Fredericksburg and The Tidewater (Norfolk etc) because of the fairly heavy National Security presence in those areas.

I guess it's possible that the GOP's insistence on the belt-tightening fiscal regime that eventually led to the choking effects of Sequestration is making life difficult in places that depend a lot on federal money. We heard a little of that leading up to Tuesday's elections.

I dunno.

Once upon a time, a friend who knows about such things told me the reason most US Military people have been way more inclined to vote Republican is that the Democrats were the ones who sent them to war in stupid places, for stupid reasons - Korea, Vietnam, etc - while cutting their budgets and talking shit about them, but now they're drifting to the Dems because it's the GOP who's been doing all that lately.

I dunno again.

It's pretty weird, and getting weirder - Bob Goodlatte (R-VA06) just announced he's not running in 2018, which makes him like the 20th Repub to bail - so I think it doesn't start getting un-weird for a while yet.

The more we learn, the less we know - just keep watching I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment