Slouching Towards Oblivion

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Yeah But No


It's a nice story about doing something nice for some nice lady. I especially liked the ooky-spooky angle about spirits and ghosts and shit.


The only problem is that there's a subtext that makes it actually about responsibility.

If I give credit to a supernatural force for something good that I did, then I can blame a supernatural force when I do something shitty. I can duck having to own up to whatever I do, which tells me self-infantilization is at the heart of every sky-pixie religion.

As an adult human being, you have to develop a relationship with yourself. Being faithful to a religion means you refuse to be the grownup in that relationship.

You did a good thing. Congratulations on having figured out how to be a decent person, but I do have a question:
  • You don't really need us to pat you on the back for it every fuckin' time do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment