Slouching Towards Oblivion

Monday, October 08, 2018

Unafraid

"I wasn't in favor of rounding up brown people and putting their children in cages, but then I saw a liberal being rude on TV, so I'm here to vote the straight GOP ticket because now I think we should go ahead and kill them all - that'll show those Democrats."

Oh no - don't make 45*'s base mad - they'll turn out and vote, and it'll just get worse.


It's bullshit, even though it's not total bullshit. Getting mad in the face of your legitimate criticism is a predictable reaction of the abusive Daddy State asshole - time-honored, tried-n-true, and it's the first thing they do every fuckin' time outa the box. They do it because it works.

We may indeed feel fear because we've already seen some of what they're capable of doing - the utter depravity they seem to embrace as part of a political strategy.

Your fears are real. The danger is real. 45* has already been signaling the possibility that Americans will start to die some time after the midterms.

The point though is that we have to stand and face it anyway. Because the good news is that a fair bit of that red-faced spittle-flecked anger on the part of the MAGA rubes and Lord Commander Bone Spurs is bluff and bluster.

More than anything else, bullies need to see you cower. Take away the power of the threat - making them put up or shut up - and an awful lot of this bullshit just falls away.

Paraphrasing the little brown man in the funny clothes:
They may arrest me; fine me; take away my possessions. They may put me in prison; torture me, and beat me until they kill me. Then they will have my dead broken body - but they will never have my obedience.

Some bullies are just natural born dicks, always looking to blow things up and knock people down. But they're the exception. Most bullies operate under a false sense of righteousness, thinking they're being reluctant heroes. Challenge that mindset - just telling them they're wrong; that they were lied to - and they can become confused, and downright docile.

I've seen it. I've done it - on more than a couple of occasions. And I've not gotten my ass kicked.

Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment