Slouching Towards Oblivion

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Another Semi-Bright Spot

Today, in ElmoLand, I spied a new feature called "Community Notes".

Seems like a really good idea - trying to get a handle on some of the more egregious bullshit that bad actors are constantly dumping into the information streams.



But I'm not convinced the Twitter staffers will be able to keep up with it because the ones Elmo hasn't fired yet are quitting at a pretty high rate. And if this Community thing is going to work, you kinda need a community - ie: human type people - and not leave it up to automation.

The untended/unmoderated algorithm is what turned sites like Twitter into sewers, and the intervention of actual warm bodies with thinking brains has brought them back to a more tolerable level of vitriol and darkness.

Anyway, I signed up. They say they'll let me know if I get to play. I'm not holding out any great hope, of course. I haven't been sent to TwitMo in a while, but I can be pretty snarky, and I get intercepted regularly by the Tsk-Tsk Bot that tells me maybe I should rethink what I've said in a reply tweet before I send it.






Like the zen master says:
We'll see

No comments:

Post a Comment