May 21, 2024

Progress, Anyone?

I have to think there are tiny rays of sunshine peeking thru the gloom - cuz I'm such a hopeful and optimistic fuck, don'tcha y'know.

One of the problems I have is that I rarely find a really good analysis of what any given piece of legislation actually says, and tries to accomplish.

Talking about what we need to do on our southern border, we have to put something in place that allows for compliance with our treaty obligations, while gearing up for possibly massive increases in human migration because of political and economic disruptions driven by Climate Change - and while trying to be humane about the whole fuckin' mess.

It's a puzzlement, as usual.

Anyway, we can take a shot at cutting it into bite-size chunks so we don't have to try swallowing the whole big ugly thing at once.

And maybe we're also getting a look at some pretty slick politicking on the part of some so-far-not-very impressive players.

Chuck Schumer and Mitt Romney and Tom Tillis and Bill Lankford are not names that come tripping easily off my tongue when I try to speak of the great thinkers and statesmen of the US Senate. But I have to reserve judgement until I see if this thing they're cooking up can actually serve the dual purpose of moving better Border Security into place, while also prying loose a few of Trump's fingers from the throats of Republicans.



No comments:

Post a Comment