Jun 26, 2024

On The Death Of A Friend

It seems contradictory to call her a friend. Sue Foster was a year ahead of me, I barely knew her really - she was too beautiful - I was always a little intimidated by her.

At the same time, she was important in my life. Just watching her with my other friends was instructive somehow. I don't know how to explain any of that, so I guess I have to leave it for now, and just wonder about it.

I sang at her wedding.

Susan Foster 1952 - 2024



For what is it to die,
but to stand naked in the wind,
and to melt into the sun?

What is it to cease breathing,
but to free the breath
from its restless tides -
that it may rise and expand
and seek God unencumbered?

When you sit quietly by a silent river,
then you start to sing.

When you've reached the top of the mountain,
then you begin to climb.

And when the earth reclaims your limbs,
then you can truly dance.

(paraphrased from Kahlil Gibran)

No comments:

Post a Comment