Slouching Towards Oblivion

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sweet Redemption

When we were kids, my dad had a bunch of old 78's (some of which he'd acquired while stationed in Hawaii at the end of WWII). Anyway, the Spike Jones version of Hawaiian War Chant was a favorite. My older brother somehow got permission to take the record to school, and on his way home, he dropped it and it broke. I remember the icy scorn heaped upon him by the whole family for what seemed like months. It's possible my dad held that grudge for years.

After waiting a very long while and coming back to do the search many times on YouTube, I finally found it. And I gotta tell ya, listening to it now, I'm thinkin' we should've let my brother off the hook right from the start - for the obvious human reasons - but really, the thing just sucks. I guess I can smile at the sheer goofiness, and I can certainly relate to the feeling for the loss of an important memento, but damn. This was not worth makin' a fuss over.

Hawaiian War Chant --Spike Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment