Slouching Towards Oblivion

Friday, October 12, 2012

Gettin' It Done - 25

At the risk of sounding way too "centrist":  I'm not a fan of the Liberal vs Conservative thing, especially where the courts are concerned.  I have to be able to make whatever judgment call I need to make based on what my gut and my brain tell me is the right thing to do without a lot of clutter and noise caused by ideology or party alignment.  I'd like judges to do the same.

I don't like thinking Scalia and Aleto and Roberts are crafting decisions based on what political impact they believe it might have on the the other 2 branches.  If I'm against "conservatives" doing that, then I have to be against "my side" doing it too.

Seems like we're kinda forced into it though; forced into thinking we have to take one side or the other, but if it's just always Us vs Them, how are we supposed to get past the conflict?  How do we move towards compromise and then onto resolution?
25. Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court: Nominated and obtained confirmation for Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic and third woman to serve, in 2009; and Elena Kagan, the fourth woman to serve, in 2010. They replaced David Souter and John Paul Stevens, respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment