Slouching Towards Oblivion

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Today's Smartest Thing

I'm generally not a fan of DailyKOS - just "a little too lefty" for me - but when I think they get something right, I gotta say I think they got it right.

From Phoebe Loosinhouse:

Whenever things make absolutely no sense, I think it can be said that while it may make no sense to you, it may make sense to someone. And nine times out of ten, what has previously appeared nonsensical may be sensical, especially if someone somewhere is making money from the nonsense.

When the whole Michael Brown episode appeared out of nowhere, I am sure that I am not alone when I wondered, how is it remotely possible that a young man could end up dead for jaywalking? But perhaps part of the riddle has been solved by Newsweek, in an exemplary story displaying actual curiosity, investigation and journalism:

Driving While Black In Ferguson
Very simply, a town that bankrolls itself through racial profiling and harassment of minority citizens in penny ante driving violations which are then ratcheted up in both costs and ramifications through manipulative measures, is EXACTLY the kind of place where a jaywalking offense would spiral out of control. There really is something very systemically awful going on in that town and it is tragic that it took the death of a black teenager to draw one's eyes to it.
So if we can manage to see past the race-baiting and the militarized cops and all the charges and counter-charges and the extreme Press Poodling, it starts to get a bit clearer.

Follow the money.

hat tip = Democratic Underground

No comments:

Post a Comment