Slouching Towards Oblivion

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Today's Cheap Shot


At the risk of showing my ignorance (and really, when has that ever stopped me?), please indulge me as I ask just one question:

Where the fuck has this guy been for 7 years?

Damn, Prez - this should've been an every-day thing from the beginning.  And your staffers should've been hounding the Press Poodles for airtime to back it all up and hammer it all home. Every.Fucking.Day.

Honest, I'm really glad when you do this, Mr President, and yes, I'm aware that you've done it before.  I just really really really wish you hadn't insisted on being so polite and humble and gee-whiz-maybe-if-I'm-courteous-they-won't-be-such-assholes-to-me-so-fucking-always.

Sorry.

Lotsa jobs is a good thing.  70+ months of expansion is a good thing.  60% reduction in the federal deficit is a good thing.  Stock market up 65% is a good thing.  Progress on equal rights is a good thing.  Millions more with healthcare insurance.  Winding down the wars.  Lotsa good things.

But way too many people stuck in the poverty cycle is a bad thing.  Hundreds of Banksters not in jail is a bad thing.  30,000 Americans killed every year with guns is a bad thing.  1000+ new laws restricting women's reproductive rights is a bad thing.  Millions of 20-somethings living at or near the poverty level and needing their parents' help is a bad thing.  Fucked up infrastructure is a bad thing.  Voter suppression is a bad thing.  Gitmo is a bad thing.  Drones and extra-legal snuff lists are bad things.  The complete crazy-fication of the GOP is a really bad thing.  Lotsa and lotsa really bad things too.

Not that you're directly responsible for all that, I just think we needed you to be standing there every day telling us you're trying to do something about it, but somebody seems to be holding you back and getting in your way every time.

I think the pendulum isn't yet swinging the other way, but it's rightward motion has slowed enough to make it much more probable that it could be heading back to the left pretty soon.  So maybe you get a lot of the credit for arresting that movement, and I should ease up a little. But I think you know as well as I do that if we don't constantly push for progress, very little gets done, and the natural tendency is to slip back into that Authoritarian Oligarchy thing, which happens to be what the current batch of Republicans always seem to be pushing for.  And maybe you could articulate that little "elephant-in-the-room" thing too(?) Gotta push back.

And if we're looking at President Hillary Clinton, it's going to get real important real quick to push back hard against her Neo-Liberal bullshit.  

Paraphrasing FDR - "I wanna do what you want me to do, but this is a democracy, so I need for you to make me do it."

So yay, Obama. But we gotta get off up our asses and make things happen if we want things to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment